Willem LeppinkAttorney at law, partner
Willem is an attorney at law and partner with Ploum where he leads the Intellectual property team.
Expertise: Trademark, copyright and advertising law
Willem provides litigation services and advice in the field of trademark, copyright and advertising law. He represents well-known companies throughout Europe in counterfeiting and other infringement matters. He is very experienced in coordinating European brand and marketing-related projects. In the Netherlands he litigates in conflicts regarding intellectual property and in cases about misleading and comparative advertising.
Willem graduated from Groningen University in 1994. Before that he spent a year at the School of Business of Western Carolina University. He was a partner with NautaDutilh and Simmons & Simmons. There he had various management roles in the International Intellectual Property Practice Group and the TMT Sector Group. In 2009 he joined Ploum, where he set up the intellectual property practice.
Legal Matters, Business Counts
Willem is a strong believer in achieving results for his clients, regardless where these are needed on the globe, by finding pragmatic and creative solutions. He helps his client to keep the helicopter view and realizes that most entrepreneurs rather avoid litigation, but that, nonetheless, it is sometimes needed.
Willem Leppink of Ploum is experienced in trade mark prosecution, domain name infringement and advertising matters. According to sources, he is “technical and commercial,” and he is also valued for his “pragmatic and proactive” approach. – Chambers 2019
- MARQUES, the European Association of Trade Mark Owners: Willem is a member of the Executive Committee and in that capacity representing MARQUES in the European Anti-Scam Network
- Organisation for the Professional Education of Benelux Trademark and Design Attorneys (BBMM): chair
- WIPO, World Intellectual Property Organization: domain name panelist for both .UDRP and .nl disputes, Legal Rights Objections Expert, as well as Trademark Post-Delegation Dispute Resolution Procedure (Trademark PDDRP) panelist
- Czech Arbitration Court: domain name panelist .eu domain names
- Committee on Geographical Names of the Municipality of Lansingerland (Gemeente Lansingerland): acting chair
- Netherlands Intellectual Property Litigation Attorneys (VIEPA): member of the exam board
- Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (Oxford University Press): member of the editorial board
- The European Copyright & Design (Sweet & Maxwell): member of the editorial board
- Dutch advertising blog Reclameboek.nl: member of the editorial board
- Netherlands Advertising Law Association (VvRr): honorary member
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Benelux Association for Trademark and Design Law (BMM) [link naar bmm.nl]
- European Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
Willem is recommended as top 7 expert on trade mark law in The Netherlands in the WTR1000 of World Trademark Review. He is also recommended in Chambers Europe and Chambers Global. He is listed in the Legal 500, the Guide of the World’s Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners, Best Lawyers for Advertising Law en in PLC’s Which Lawyer. He was the winner of both the 2010 and the 2011 International Law Office Client Choice Award for intellectual property law. His team won Acquisition International’s 2012 Legal Award for Trademark law firm of the year.
Willem is a constructive legal communicator who is driven to achieve common-sense results – a can-do lawyer who gets the job done, he is the number one for negotiations and the person to hire if you want a complex matter sorted. – WTR1000 – 2019
- ‘European trade mark law: Quo Vadis?’, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, januari 2019
- How not using a trade mark becomes use of a trade mark, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice – Oxford University Press, Volume 13, Issue 12, 1 December 2018, Pages 925–927, Current Intelligence article on Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), Judgment in Mitsubishi v Duma, C-129/17, EU: C: 2018: 594, 25 July 2018
- Mitsubishi / Duma, case note on this judgment of the CJEU on the removal of trademarks, Intellectuele Eigendom & Reclamerecht IER 2018/55
- KNVW/Wijnoutlet.nl, case note on this judgment on unfair commercial practices and comparative advertising, Intellectuele Eigendom & Reclamerecht IER 2018/15
- A Practical Guide to Protection from Online Infringement, Chapter on The Netherlands, Globe Law and Business, 2017
- Stichting Misrekening/ING, case note on this judgment on unfair commercial practices, Intellectuele Eigendom & Reclamerecht IER 2011/62
- ‘Is there life for IP owners after Nokia and Philips’, World Trademark Review, april/mei 2011
- ‘Order from a Community trade mark court should have effect throughout the entire EU’, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, januari 2011
- ‘The battle of The Hague: R4 and mod chips game over?’, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Oxford University Press, oktober 2010
- Zonnatura, case note on this Supreme Court of The Netherlands judgment on the interpretation of intellectual property rights in a corporate transaction, Ondernemingsrecht 2004, 262
Registration expertise register (rechtsgebiedenregister)
Belonging to section 35b, first paragraph of the Regulation on the legal profession (Regeling op de advocatuur).
Willem Leppink has registered in the expertise register (rechtsgebiedenregister) of the Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse orde van advocaten) the following fields of expertise:
- Intellectual Property (Intellectueel eigendomsrecht)
This registration requires him to obtain each calendar year in accordance with the standards of the Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse orde van advocaten) ten credits on each registered field of expertise.
Nieuws geschreven door Willem Leppink
11 MAR 2019
01 MAR 2019
08 FEB 2019