Petra ChaoAttorney at law
Petra is an attorney at law and member of the teams customs, trade & logistics and civil cassation.
Petra is specialised in (European) customs law, insurance law, trade and transport disputes en civil cassation. Petra regularly provides (in-house) trainings for the FENEX (Netherlands Association for Forwarding and Logistics) and is actively involved with Greenlane (the Alliance of European Customs and Trade Law Firm). Furthermore, Petra has in collaboration with partner Jikke Biermasz contributed a chapter in the book on Dual-use export controls in international transit and transshipment published by WorldECR in 2017.
Petra Chao graduated with honors (Cum Laude) from Leiden University in December 2015. She obtained a master degree in Civil law and specialized in Insurance law. Petra has also studied a semester at the Universität Wien (Austria). Throughout her studies Petra has obtained experience in various (large) law firms and at the Dutch Supreme Court amongst other as a legal assistant / paralegal. In 2018 Petra has also successfully finished an education on (European) customs law at KGH opleidingen and the Dutch Bar Training at the Dutch Bar Association.
Understanding business is more than legal knowledge
By providing inhouse legal assistance and trainings to the members of the logistic branche organsiation (FENEX) Petra has a good sense of the practical issue’s clients run into and how she can contribute to a solution. She also has experience with litigation management in case of multiple pending proceedings.
Examples recent work
- Advising and litigation on insurance coverage disputes in particular on concurrent insurance.
- Litigation in administrative proceedings against customs on European legislation concerning antidumping duties, customs value, origin, classification and non-fiscal matters such as CITES and National Consumption tax on nonalcoholic beverages and civil proceedings against customs on the suspension or prevention of (further) enforcement measures to collect customs debts and against civil parties in the logistics chain.
- Assisting clients with challenging fiscal penalties due to incorrect customs declarations.
- A member of the civil cassation team of Ploum (proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court).
- Dutch Bar Training at the Dutch Bar Association in 2018
- Customs Consultant at KGH Opleidingen in 2018
- Master Civil Law at Leiden University (with honors / Cum Laude) in 2015
- Bachelor Dutch law at Leiden University in 2013
- Advocatenblad 2019/6, Kroniek Aansprakelijkheidsrecht, in samenwerking met C. Janssens en M. Louws
- Advocatenblad 2018/6, Kroniek Aansprakelijkheidsrecht, in collaboration with C. Janssens en V. Hofman.
- WorldECR, Dual-use Export Controls in international transit and transshipment, chapter on the Netherlands in collaboration with J. Biermasz, 2017.
- JutD 27 April 2017, no. 9, De nieuwe luchtverkeersdeelnemer: de drone.
- JutD 9 September 2016, no. 16, De rol van de instantie die verantwoordelijk is voor de handhaving van Verordening nr. 261/2004.