Maurice VerhoevenAttorney at law, partner
Maurice graduated from Erasmus University Rotterdam in 1995, majoring in Private Law and Company Law. He also studied law at Thames Valley University in London. Maurice joined Ploum in 2003 and became a partner in 2005. Before joining Ploum, he worked as a lawyer at Trenité Van Doorne and subsequently at Simmons & Simmons Trenité.
Maurice Verhoeven has considerable expertise in professional liability. – Legal 500 EMEA 2020
Maurice specializes in commercial litigation and corporate litigation, including shareholder disputes, inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam, take over disputes and M&A disputes. He also advises and litigates regularly in the field of D&O liability and professional liability, in particular liability of accountants, tax law and corporate finance advice, lawyers and civil law notaries. He frequently assists the major accountancy firms and is often engaged by insurers for his expertise in D&O claims and professional liability claims. Also Maurice is frequently asked by the insurers to act as monitoring counsel in D&O liability matters.
In 2001, Maurice completed the post-graduate Company and Corporate Law specialization program at the Grotius Academy with distinction. Maurice is a member of the Dutch Association for Corporate Litigation. He teaches in the field of Civil Procedural Law and speaks regularly at seminars on D&O liability and professional liability. Maurice is individually ranked as lawyer in the Chambers Europe Editions 2013, 2014 and 2015 in the field of Insurance and as Recommended Lawyer in Legal 500 2017. In the Chambers Europe 2014 Edition the following is said about Maurice: “Clients appreciate Maurice Verhoeven for his extensive experience in D&O and professional liability as well as the trust he inspires in insurers and brokers alike”
- ‘De Aansprakelijkheid van de (beoogd) curator’, Tijdschrift Aansprakelijkheids- en Verzekeringsrecht (TAV), year 2, no. 1, January 2016 (SDU)
- ‘Hoofdelijke aansprakelijkheid van bestuurders’, BestuurRendement, year 18, no. 1, January 2015 (Rendement Uitgeverij)
- ‘Claim? Verzekering dekt het wel’, BestuurRendement, year 17, no. 5, mei 2014 (Rendement Uitgeverij)
- ‘Civielrechtelijk bestuursverbod kan sneller worden opgelegd’, BestuurRendement, year 17, no. 2, February 2014 (Rendement Uitgeverij)
- Dutch Association for Corporate Litigation
The Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister)
Maurice Verhoeven has registered the following principal (and secondary) legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister):
- Civil procedural law (burgerlijk procesrecht);
- Corporate law (ondernemingsrecht).
Based on this registration, Maurice Verhoeven is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.