Matthijs BolkensteinAttorney at law, partner
Matthijs is an attorney at law and member of the Banking & Finance team at Ploum.
Matthijs specializes in assisting clients in (inter)national finance, debt and capital market transactions, with a specific focus on real estate finance transactions. Matthijs is well experienced in advising on financial regulations. On a regular basis he assists clients in license application processes at the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (Autoriteit Financiële Markten) and the Dutch Central Bank (De Nederlandsche Bank) and advises on compliance related aspects of financial supervision including AML and sanctions.
Matthijs graduated in 2003 from Leiden University mastering in corporate law and company, law and management. He started his career in 2004 as an attorney at law at Eversheds Sutherland and was appointed partner banking & finance in 2012. In 2009 he successfully completed the postgraduate specialization course in security law (cum laude) at the Grotius Academy. Matthijs joined Ploum as a partner in 2019.
Understanding business is more than legal knowledge
Matthijs is well experienced in the structuring and establishment of (financial) regulated entities, including the license application processes at DCB and AFM. He represented a number of start-up companies in the Fintech scene. His experience enables him not only to advise from a legal perspective but also to provide hands on operational and commercial support.
Part of Matthijs’ practise is advising and assisting clients in debt sales and the sale of NPL portfolios. Matthijs has been a speaker and moderator at various (inter)national conferences on this topic.
Matthijs Bolkenstein recently joined Ploum, where he acts for clients on a range of transactional finance matters. He has experience advising on acquisition and corporate finance files. – Chambers 2020
Legal500 describes the practice of Matthijs and Lucas Lustermans as follows: ”the practice is known for its sector expertise in renewable energy and real estate, with work in the latter steadily increasing in the last year. Practice heads Matthijs Bolkenstein and recently promoted partner Lucas Lustermans advised Alfanar Co on the financing of a solar plant in Egypt and handled a similar project, also in Egypt, for Scatec.”
Examples of recent work
- Assisting a German bank in relation to a number of commercial real estate finance transaction in the Netherlands, including the structuring of security rights and issuing legal opinions.
- Advising a German venture capital fund manager in relation to the structuring of a Dutch venture capital fund, preparing the fund documentation and assisting with regulatory aspects.
- Assisting a US private equity firm in relation to a finance and sale and lease back transaction (asset based finance).
- Grotius Effectenrecht
Memberships and additional functions
- Secured Finance Network Europe
- Holland Fintech
- Member of Ethics and Integrity committee CFA Society VBA Netherlands
- Dutch Association for Financial Law (Vereniging voor Financieel Recht)
- Commercial Law Association (Vereeniging Handelsrecht)
- Dutch Association of Finance Companies (Vereniging van Financieringsondernemingen in Nederland)
The Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister)
Matthijs Bolkenstein has registered the following principal (and secondary) legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister):
- Financial law (financieel recht); sub legal practice area banking law (bankrecht);
- Insolvency law (insolventierecht); sub legal practice area bankruptcy (faillissement), sub legal practice area moratorium (surseance van betaling), sub legal practice area WSNP (Debt Management (Natural Persons) Act); and
- Corporate law (ondernemingsrecht) sub legal practice area directors’ liability (bestuurdersaansprakelijkheid), sub legal practice area legal entities (vennootschappen).
Based on this registration, Matthijs Bolkenstein is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
Nieuws geschreven door Matthijs Bolkenstein
06 JUL 2020
25 JUN 2020
23 JUN 2020