Marijn van TuijlAttorney at law, partner
Marijn is a partner in Ploum’s Trade, Customs & Logistics department.
Marijn advises and litigates on matters concerning the manufacture and international trade of goods. This often revolves around contracting and liability issues, and furthermore around the complex EU regulatory framework setting out the conditions for importing goods or placing on the market of products, including the question when a recall is unavoidable. Marijn mainly assists importers, manufacturers and merchant businesses in the industry sectors Food & Feed and Life Sciences where regulatory supervision and enforcement by the Food & Product Safety Authority (NVWA), Customs, Environment & Transport Inspectorate (IL&T) or the Health Care Inspectorate (IGJ) play an ever more important role.
Furthermore Marijn has extensive expertise in logistics and transport matters, representing carriers, terminals, customs and forwarding agents, warehousing companies and their insurers.
With a background in international trade and logistics, Marijn represents businesses and their insurers in matters where quality and compliance of products and raw materials are at stake, or where disputes arise in the supply chain.
Alongside logistics contracting and dealing with disputes on the carriage and storage of goods, Marijn has extensive experience in assisting clients in product recalls, negotiations with and litigation against regulatory authorities and resolving claims which are passed through the supply chain.
A strong focus on matters involving government supervision and enforcement affecting the manufacture, import, carriage and marketing of products, causes Marijn to be very effective and result oriented in dealing with authorities. This valuable expertise is concentrated in Ploum’s Corporate Investigations team of which Marijn is a member.
Prior to private practice Marijn gained experience as an in-house counsel with a Danish logistics service provider.
‘Marijn van Tuijl continues to be a highly regarded presence on logistics and international trade matters. His clients include traders and manufacturers.’ – Chamers & Partners Europe
Understanding business is more than legal knowledge
‘For me, working as an attorney is not about legal theory, but about finding the best practical solution. At Ploum, I can advise and litigate on liability issues and contract disputes for international commodity traders, manufacturers/suppliers and logistics service providers. I am especially focused on issues which involve European and national product legislation’, Marijn van Tuijl.
Examples of recent work
- Marijn litigates in proceedings against a manufacturer of pharmaceutical waste containing synthetic hormones, which waste was placed on the market as a food and feed raw material in violation of European legislation and causing widespread damages throughout the Dutch pork industry.
- Marijn regularly represents businesses in disputes involving the Dutch Food & Product Safety Authority (NVWA) and Dutch Customs, and furthermore deals with the ensuing liability issues in the supply chain.
- Marijn acts for a global shipping line in a dispute with a towage service provider on the performance of services in Northern European ports.
- Marijn frequently advises importers of food and feed products on topics such as pesticide residues, veterinary import controls, contamination issues and other risks concerning product safety and compliance.
- Marijn has extensive experience in logistics contracting, as well as disputes and preliminary injunction proceedings between logistics service providers and their principals on (wrongful) termination of logistics contracts and cooperations.