Lucas LustermansAttorney at law, partner
Lucas is an attorney at law and member of the Banking & Finance team at Ploum.
Lucas specialises in advising lenders and borrowers on domestic and cross-border financing transactions, including acquisition finance, general corporate lending and project finance.
Lucas graduated from Maastricht University in 2004 and joined Eversheds Sutherland as an attorney at law in 2005. From 2012 to 2015, Lucas worked as a inhouse legal counsel at the Dutch development finance institution FMO where he advised on international financing transactions and fund investments. In 2010 he completed the postgraduate specialization course in financing and security rights at the Grotius Academy. Lucas joined Eversheds Sutherland again in 2015 and was appointed partner in 2018. He is a partner at Ploum since 2019.
Understanding business is more than legal knowledge
Lucas understands, also because of his experience outside private practice as an inhouse legal counsel, that clients need practical legal advice that can contribute to solving a legal issue. Lucas is a pragmatical lawyer and likes to think proactively with his clients.
“Working with Lucas is a pleasure: he is thorough and pragmatic and stays on the ball until the job is done. Good legal knowledge combined with a healthy commercial drive.” – Ronald Janse FMO
Legal500 describes the practice of Lucas and Matthijs Bolkenstein as follows: ”the practice is known for its sector expertise in renewable energy and real estate, with work in the latter steadily increasing in the last year. Practice heads Matthijs Bolkenstein and recently promoted partner Lucas Lustermans advised Alfanar Co on the financing of a solar plant in Egypt and handled a similar project, also in Egypt, for Scatec.”
Examples of recent work
- Advising on project financing for the realization of wood-fired heating plant. Lucas has successfully drawn up the loan documentation, the security and project documents and co-negotiated them on behalf of two renewable energy funds.
- Advising on acquisition financing for the purchase of an oncology medical center in North Africa. Lucas has successfully drafted the finance documentation and project documents and co-negotiated on behalf of an international development finance company.
- Advising and drawing up template loan documentation. In collaboration with colleagues from other disciplines, Lucas has drafted loan documentation for various financial institutions.
- Grotius financing and security rights
Memberships & additional functions
- Secured Finance Network Europe
- Commercial Finance Association Europe
- Holland Fintech
- Dutch Association for Financial Law Vereniging voor Financieel Recht
- Commercial Law Association Vereeniging Handelsrecht
- Dutch Association of Finance Companies Vereniging van Financieringsondernemingen in Nederland
The Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister)
Lucas Lustermans has registered the following principal (and secondary) legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister):
- Financial law (financieel recht); sub legal practice area banking law (bank recht);
- Corporate law (ondernemingsrecht) sub legal practice area legal entities (vennootschappen) en sub legal practice area directors’ liability (bestuurdersaansprakelijkheid); and
- Insolvency law; sub legal practice area bankruptcy (faillissement), moratorium (surseance van betaling) and WSNP (Debt Management (Natural Persons) Act).
Based on this registration, Lucas Lustermans is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
Nieuws geschreven door Lucas Lustermans
20 MAY 2020
12 MAY 2020
07 MAY 2020