Geert de NijsAttorney at law
Geert works as an attorney at law in the corporate law department.
Geert advises Dutch and international clients on (cross-border) mergers & acquisitions, MBO’s, joint ventures, restructurings, management and employee participation scheme’s and other strategic transactions. He also advises on contractual, corporate and governance matters. He has extensive experience in advising clients on all matters regarding private M&A (both buy and sell side) and joint ventures, such as coordinating legal (vendor) due diligence, drafting/negotiating transaction documentation and coordinating transaction teams.
Geert previously worked for Loyens & Loeff and HVG Law and has over 2 years of experience as in-house counsel at a global manufacturer of offshore mission equipment in the oil, gas and renewables industry.
Understanding business is more than legal knowledge
Having extensive transactional experience as legal counsel at Huisman Equipment, Geert eminently understands that, and has an eye for the fact that, the legal side is just one of the many aspects and interests that concern a successful transaction.
Examples of recent work
- Assisting UNIT4 with its acquisition of Fiscaal Gemak
- Assisting UNIT4 with its divestment of FIS/FMS
- Assisting UNIT4 with its divestment of Financiele Intermediairs
- Assisting GEA with its sale of De Klokslag
- Assisting James Fisher and Sons plc with its acquisition out of bankruptcy of Ortega Submersibles
- Assisting a market leader in corporate gifts with the professionalization of their governance structure
- Assisting various companies with setting up management participation schemes (certification, SARs)
- Assisting the founder of a high-performance hosting company in its 100% sale to one of the leading global video game publishers
- Assisting a global specialist in horticulture with its acquisition of a manufacturer of high-tech greenhouse logistics solutions
- LLM, Erasmus University Rotterdam (2009)
- Exchange student, University of Baltimore, Baltimore (MD), USA (2008)
- Post-graduate course Mergers & Acquisitions: Law, Finance, Skills, ZIPO / VU Amsterdam (2017)
The Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister)
Geert de Nijs has registered the following principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister):
- Corporate law (ondernemingsrecht)
Based on this registration, Geert de Nijs is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.